1. Tell us about your craziest touring experience?
After a show in Denver we ended up in a blizzard in the Rockies. After sliding around for a while trying to continue moving forward, we ended up having to pull over. It got worse and worse and walking just 10 feet away from the van was extremely difficult. We laughed sarcastically about how we were gonna be stuck there and die, but I do think we were all legitimately scared.
2. What type of college class would you’d most want to take and why?
Ornithology. Not sure if it would be that applicable to my life, but I think I’d enjoy it.
3. What city in America is the most fun to visit and why?
We’re a little biased. Our favorite cities end up inevitably being the cities we have the best shows in, and therefore wherever we have a stronger presence. Some of those cities are Minneapolis, Louisville and Dallas. Recently we all played a show in Memphis and were really taken with the city. Excited to get back there.
4. What’s some of the best advice you were ever given?
My dad used to repeat the serenity prayer to me as a kid. It always stuck with me more than I realized.
5. What’s in heavy rotation in your MP3/CD player right now?
‘Soul Journey’ by Gillian Welch, ‘Still Crazy After All These Years’ by Paul Simon and ‘Beware’ by Bonnie “Prince” Billy.
6. The last good book you read or TV show you’re addicted to?
‘A Hero Of Our Time’ by Mikhail Lermontov really knocked me out
7. What’s the first concert you ever saw – how was it?
I think it was Weezer on their Pinkerton tour. I was a late bloomer when it came to concert going, but I remember thinking they were the coolest group of guys I’d ever seen.
8. What are three items you can’t live without on tour?
Simple things like books and headphones and pens. I guess we’ve all become pretty dependent on smart phones as well these days as well. Helping us not get lost and find nice restaurants and coffee shops.
9. Who are your major musical influences?
It’s changing a lot, but over time I think some of the mainstays have been Will Oldham, Warren Zevon, John Prine, Little Feat, Joni Mitchell, Bill Callahan, Lucinda Williams, Tom Petty and I’m sure plenty of others I’m not thinking of.
Any random messages or tips you’d like to give to mtvU watchers?
Not that I can think of. Thanks!!