After four years in absentia the original 4 members of LA band Shiny Toy Guns are back in action with their new album III and we got to ask synth man Jeremy Dawson a few questions…
1. Tell us about your craziest touring experience?
Well, one time we got the bright idea to wear “depends” undergarments when we were touring back in the van’n'trailer days. This enabled us to drive incredible distances without having to stop to pee or poo.
However, it didn’t really work out as planned…
2. What type of college class would you’d most want to take and why?
Meteorology. Because the atmosphere is not controllable and we want to figure out how to harness the power of THE NOTHING. Run Atreyu! Hurry!!!
3. What city in America is the most fun to visit and why?
New York City. Because its real shit. Its depth, its metal, its power. The class and global fashion that runs beneath its streets and across its cloud splitting skyline gives every reason to be inspired.
4. What’s some of the best advice you were ever given?
From The National. They said, “Don’t leave yourself alone for too many days, sooner than you know, you’re gonna start slipping..”
5. What’s in heavy rotation in your MP3/CD player right now?
The new Beach House. Knife Party. Grimes. Remember Vast? Having a large Vast flashback moment and Other Lives.
6. The last good book you read or TV show you’re addicted to?
I think we all really love Storage Wars. And reading wise usually we just read funny twitter feeds and listen to waaaay too much music all day. Recently finished our album so we are in the wind-down stages from spending 3 years in a recording studio.
7. What’s the first concert you ever saw – how was it?
Ahhh …. don’t hate … it was Milli Vanilli and Young MC. May or may not have done the running man as a very young child. In my seat. I believed it. The vocals were real, I was there…
8. What are three items you can’t live without on tour?
The S735I logitech iphone dock sound system. Literally tears if its forgotten. Hummus. CHEEZITS. No cheezits, no show.
9. Who are your major musical influences?
All the melody junkies in the world. And those who write really incredible songs of all types and genres.
Any random messages or tips you’d like to give to mtvU watchers?
Stay away from bath salts! And love people. You aren’t here on earth to be an a$$hole, spend today making someone laugh out loud.
For your listening pleasure it’s “Waiting Alone”: