Lead singer Will Loomis of Loomis & the Lust sits down in this week’s Hot Seat and answers mtvU’s burning questions.
1. Tell us about your craziest tour experience.
A swat team in Tacoma, Washington busted into our hotel room, pinned me to the ground and handcuffed me because they mistook me for a local bank robber with blue eyes and long blond hair. I was pretty upset until I saw the photo. He looked just like me!
2. What types of college class would you most want to take?
A class where I can sleep in the back.
3. What city in America is the most fun to visit and why?
Portland Oregon. There is a great artist community, guitars are cheap and there is no sales tax.
4. What’s some of the best advice you were ever given?
Song writing is a lot like fishing. You’ve got to set the hook.
5. What’s in heavy rotation in your mp3/cd player right now?
MGMT’s Electric Feel
6. The last good book you read or TV Show you’re addicted to
Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung, an anthology of works by Lester Bangs, the legendary music critic.
7. What’s the first concert you ever saw? How was it?
Parliament Funkadelic, I was about 9 years old, it was mind-blowing.
8. What are three items you can’t live without on tour?
You have to be a MacGyver on the road. The three things that always come in handy are electrical tape, 9 volt batteries and a Triple A card.
9. Who are your major musical influences?
David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Frank Zappa, Rolling Stones, Prince
Any random messages or tips you’d like to give to the mtvU watchers?
Keep watching. You ain’t seen nothing yet.