Aussie rocker Jet have their drummer Chris Cester sit down in this week’s Hot Seat and answer mtvU’s burning questions.
1. Tell us about your craziest touring experience.
Jet: Touring with Oasis. I discovered that its possible to function when you’re drunk all day and all night, and that if you don’t stop drinking, you don’t get hungover. I left the tour at one point…ran away to new york. Forgot my name. Good times? Of course.
2. What type of college class would you’d most want to take and why?
Jet: Brotherly Love…Hmmm, that started as a joke, because Nic and I are an odd coupling. Actually, I think studying the relationships between siblings would be very interesting. Not families, siblings.
3. What city in America is the most fun to visit and why?
Jet: New York. Its just alive…the minute you hit the street, no matter the time of day. The fans are a little jaded, because they’ve seen it all, but it just gives the city more character in the end. Props to Austin though…they know how to party. Sorry…that’s 2. What? Its a big country!
4. What’s some of the best advice you were ever given?
Jet: Shut up.
5. What’s in heavy rotation in your MP3/CD player right now?
Jet: Actually? Bill Hicks, the comedian. Can’t get enough. I laugh until my mouth hurts. How great is that?
6. The last good book you read or TV show you’re addicted to.
Jet: Book. Ian Mckewan’s ‘the innocent’.
7. What’s the first concert you ever saw – how was it?
Jet: Amazing. My favourite band, You Am I. I throw my demo tape on stage, it nearly hits the singer, who stops, picks it up, and boots it offstage, to the delight of 2000 people, and to the utter misery of me. I still had an amazing time. It was my 16th birthday.
8. What are three items you can’t live without on tour?
Jet: Sunglasses. An awesome jacket, a good book.
9. Who are your major musical influences?
Jet: John Lennon, Bill Hicks, Joe Strummer, CNN, sexy, smart girls, Bon Scott era AC/DC…The Stooges and anyone who tells me “no”.